Thursday, July 30, 2009

Worship Me, People!

I went to Patches' IEP meeting this morning completely freaked out. I went alone b/c my DH backed out last night and the AT had to do it as a conference call. Have I mentioned I have social anxiety? I have a very difficult time walking into a room full of people, new people, and new places are overwhelming. I had to deal with all 3. I took deep breaths and tried not to look like an idiot. Most people can't tell my heart is about to come out of my chest, I can't take a deep breath, or that I am trying to keep my emotions under control. I am getting pretty good at hiding it. Anyway, I managed to get to my seat and force myself to participate within minutes.

They discussed Patches new psychological evaluation and her AT joined in briefly to lay it all out for them. They sat their with their mouths open until she was done. I answered questions about her and her triggers. The Director of the program I wanted her in came in halfway through. She read over the notes and proclaimed that she strongly felt this was where she needed to be. The old school folks went on and on about how she didn't act out THAT much at school. They felt she could be managed in an EBD class. I strongly disagreed b/c they still transition into regular ed for lunch and connections. It is the transitions that are part of the problem. I guess I had a compelling argument b/c they went against policy and put her in the program. That's right, folks, they went against all their little rules to do what is best for my child.

This was the best possible situation for her. She will have a parapro with her at all times. This person will be trained to read Patches' emotional state and how to react. She will be allowed to stay in her room to eat, if she can't handle the transition. She will be working on her social skills. They have a counsellor and a social worker available to her at all times. She will switch classes but will be with all the same 6 kids and her parapro.

Feel free to worship me and my mad skills that help my kids get what they need.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

HALLELUJAH!!! Good job!! Now just to find a para who can do it well.... =)

Dia por Dia said...

You are a goddess to be reckoned with! :-)

Yay for small favors like getting kids the services they need! So glad this went the best possible way!

Eva Carper said...

You Rock!!! Congrats :)

Kath said...

You rule Tudu!!

To overcome your own fear for your children is such a wonderful thing to do, but so hard too! And well done for getting them to bend their rules to do what's best for Patches!

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!!!

roztime said...

Congratulations for you & Patches!! Huzzah!

Mama Drama Times Two said...

I will channel you when I attend Bucksquats IEP meeting this September...You are indeed a force to be reckoned with!!! Such lucky children you have !!!!