Thursday, September 04, 2008

Her Consequence

I may not get to the computer tomorrow and I wanted to post a bit before I climbed in bed before dark b/c I only got 3 hours of sleep last night.

The AT was very surprised at Ruthie's determination to hold a grudge against her friend. He is very concerned about her recent choices. Aren't we all? He thought it was a good idea to report it to the Principal after therapy.

I was so shocked at the response I got from the Principal that I know my mouth sat open for a long minute. He got it. I mean really understood my concerns and chewed her butt. She has lost 3 days of recess and will sit in his office to write an apology and sentences about lying. She was so scared that I almost laughed out loud. The child is defensive, manipulative, angry, and sometimes sad but scared of an adult giving her a consequence is new. I wish I could have taken a picture.

After she left he held me back to ask some further questions. They were concerned, in a nice way, that I needed them to be harder on my kids. I explained things for the millionth time and he agreed with me. They will not be harder on my children but will no longer give them ANY second chances. I hope they are able to communicate that to all the teachers and work it out b/c it is all I have asked for all along.

No comments: