Sunday, August 02, 2009

Our Little Devil Girl

Kiera has found a new and exciting way to torture me all night long. She begins the night in her bed and sleeps well for the first couple of hours, most nights. She begins waking over and over after midnight. I usually put her in my bed after a few times b/c I'm lazy like that. Now she has decided she has to up the anty, she kicks me in the back or the stomach like she is running a marathon. Actually, she is mostly awake and frustrated she can't get back to sleep so she wants me to suffer, too. Think a 20 month old couldn't possibly think like that? Wrong. She is such an angry little girl that she enjoys it when others hurt. I swear. Not every time, just when she inflicts the pain.

She is very smart. She has discovered how to get off the hook when she has done something wrong. She immediately goes to her time out spot, sit down and lowers her head to fake cry, gets up in less than a minute, walks over to the nearest person and says, "Sorry" in her most pathetic voice, and runs away giggling. Talk about manipulation master.

She is talking up a storm and becoming more aggressive every day. Don't get me wrong, she is the cutest thing I have ever seen. I no longer worry the older kids will hurt her, we have to protect them from her. Think I'm kidding? Not a chance. She has hit Michael so hard with my cell phone that it knocked him to the ground. She randomly punches (not slaps) the kids in the face. If you let her know it hurt you, she WILL do it again. I know that some hitting is normal for this age, this is not normal. The AT shook her head and asked if I saw what was really going on. It's definitely an attachment issue. I had hoped we were moving past it but it looks like we are still heading into it.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Poor Kiera - and poor you! I too have a super-restless, kicking sleeper. Have you tried a weighted blanket for her? It's not been the perfect solution for us (what is?) but it has certainly helped H. relax, stay asleep and sleep more peacefully.

Melissa said...

I came across your blog and I have read everything from the beginning. I took me about 4 days. It made me laugh and made me cry. I am drawn to your story and your childrens stories. I think you are the most amazing person I have ever read about.(Can't say "met")LOL!! I am blown away with how you have handled everything that has been thrown at you. Your children are amazing and you all are so blessed to have found each other. (I'm sure you know that)

Melissa

Eva Carper said...

ouch! is she respectful of certain children or is everyone a target?

Tudu said...

Melissa, thank you so much. I am sure I have forgotten much of what has happened over the last few years. Thankful for it, too.

Nichole, she is aggressive with all the kids. She is really aggressive with me, too.

Michelle said...

Tudu, I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Kiera and her attachment issues, but I'm SO glad you are realizing this NOW so it can be helped and treated sooner rather than later.

Danielle said...

Some of what you are describing is normal toddler behavior ... toddlers hit. And when they have a houseful of siblings that provide dramatic reactions to their hitting or yelling or other negative behavior ... they are encouraged by the reaction and keep hitting ... toddlers enjoy attention, they don't care if it's positive attention or negative attention ... in a house with so many children, this may be her way of demanding everyone's undivided attention.

Sometimes AT's think everyone has attachment issues, they see what they specialize in.