Friday, August 08, 2008

We Lost Track of Time

The old friend I had lunch with today is the same girl that I smoked my first cigarette and drank my first beer with back in 6th grade. I don't remember where we got the cigarettes from, probably her older more sophisticated sister and I stole the beer from my parents. I don't think we got caught but I do remember having a blast. She looked exactly the same and was as beautiful as I remembered. She married a boy we went to school with, I remember him to be a quiet, gentle person that was fun to be around. She told me he has turned into a wonderful husband and father, I wasn't surprised in the least. He never doubted he wouldn't grow up to make his parents proud, it's just they way he carried himself.

She only brought one of her daughters and she was the spitting image of her parents. She was very well behaved for being forced to reminisce about times she wasn't even around for. She entertained herself with her mom's phone and randomly called people to come save her from the unending boredom. I am honored to share my name with such a lovely child.

The time flew by as we talked about people we remembered and some that she has recently seen. It makes me sad to think of all the wasted lives. Most of the friends I had way back when are now in prison or are struggling with an addiction to Meth. We could have ended up like them. I am so glad we didn't. To date she is the only one that I know of that came out normal, that is a huge accomplishment in itself. She is more than a success story, she was warm, smart, beautiful, and a patient mother. Best of all, she sprung for lunch.

Alison, I hope you have a nice transition back to work and do call when you are in the city b/c next time is my treat. Thank you so much for the 2 1/2 hour lunch!

No comments: