Friday, May 21, 2010

Tough Night

Ruthie has been having a really hard time over the last few months. Her rages have increased significantly when we removed her latest med that we feared was the cause of her stomach pains.

We mentioned her hygiene challenges in therapy and she refused to speak one word for the nearly 2 hours we were there. Once in the van, she was a chatty Cathy. I stated I wish she could find a way to talk like that in therapy. She was silent the hour ride home. Once here, she refused to get out of the van. She sat out there for about 2 hours, long past dinner. I offered her dinner before it was put up and she shook her head. I noticed she had managed to dump a 2 liter of soda all over my van and everything else that was in there was spread all around. I just shook my head.

About 30 minutes later, my DH went to check on her and she was gone. We found her crouched down in the woods, still on our property. Every time we approached her, she ran further. Eventually, we were forced to call the police to help. She was terrified of him and refused to speak to him. He stood up and she took that moment to run toward us. I guess, we are the better of 2 evils.

After the officer left, we talked about her ability to control the urge to run and to not hurt herself. She knew she couldn't make that promise since she has been doing it daily. It was enough to have her admitted to our local psychiatric facility. Sadly, the nurses and the security officers at the ER, the admittance dude, security officer, and nurse at the facility all knew me by name. Since we are moving, I didn't bother to get last names for Christmas cards. I'm hoping to develop that kind of a relationship with the staff at the hospital and neighborhood psychiatric facility near our new house. I mean really, why waste all the energy on folks I won't see again.

Ruthie has called twice today. She seems upbeat. I'm sure she will be home in a few days. They have made some real changes with her meds that make me hopeful.

We are off to finish up the new house this weekend. We still have a little painting and a lot of moving and packing to do over the next 10 days. I wish I had a magic wand to make it all happen while I sleep.


FosterAbba said...

Moving sucks. Having a kid hospitalized sucks. Moving and having a kid hospitalized, that's suck squared.


Kate said...

You mentioned RTC for Ruthie on facebook, did you mean Residential Treatment Center? To be honest, I've been worried all day about her and what could have happened! I pray that Ruthie's new med changes help.

Kelly said...

I hate to hear this about Ruthie but at least you know she is safe during this busy time getting the house ready and hopefully she will come home much more stable.

Hope your move goes smoothly.

Marthavmuffin said...

I wish I could lend you a hand. You really could use one I am sure. Sorry about Ruthie.

Big Stupid Jellyfish said...

I'm so sorry that you've been going through this!

I'm glad Ruthie was able to get somewhere where she can be safe.
<3 for your family...and good luck with that bird.

Angela :-) said...

I hope things are well there. :-)

Angela :-)

Kelly said...

Miss you. Hope you are just busy with the move. Would love an update. :)

Hope everything and everyone is okay.

Marthavmuffin said...

I'm worried about you. It's not like you not to comment for so many weeks, please give us an update, or just say hello.

robyncalgary said...

hope youre all doing well and things are settling down in the new house <3